I have come to the realisation that my knowledge and understanding of God, theology and things "spiritual" (including points of view on various topics) is at best limited and low - little more than a "Sunday School" knowledge and understanding. True, I may have heard definitinons and viewpoints on many topics, but without taking time to study and understand I haven't yet really established and understood my own views. Nor have I a clear understanding of many of the tenants and doctrines of scripture that really by now I should have. I want to rectify this.
Having consulted others on how best to address this I have decided to embark on a study of Systematic Theology (ST). I have received two ST books as Christmas presents in 2011 - by Wayne Grudem and Louis Berkhof. These will form the basis of my study. I will primarily follow Grudem, as I find his material easier to digest and in each chapter he references the relevant sections of Berkof's book :)
My theological views today (January 2012).
It's worth stating what my position is on various topics today:-
- On the "major doctrines" (such as God's sovereignty, man's responsibility, how we are saved) I have a "reformed position". This is really as a result of the teaching I have been exposed to in my life to date more than on vast personal study.
- Having been under the teaching of a Presbyterian church for the last 12 years I submit to the views of covenant theology - the church is the spiritual seed of Abraham, jews are saved by grace and that salvation is obtained by the same means in both the old and new testaments. I'm not into dispensationalism.
- Baptism - infant baptism (as a result of covenant theology)
- Marriange - between a man and a woman only.
- Women's role in the church - Unclear. I have read 1 Tim 11 but don't understand why Paul applies arguments from "the fall" to roles in the church.
- Homosexuality - Generally, I view it as against God's will. Specifically regarding homosexual ordained ministers: I'm actually ok with that, but expect them to be celibate (as I expect a single, heterosexual minister to be celibate). To me the only issue of primary importance is whether or not they a minister is saved.
- Spiritual Gifts - I think these are still around today, however prophecy I believe was different in the time of the New Testament as the church as being established.
- Second coming - I've no idea. I've heard of the four views but would struggle to describe them never mind actually hold one of them.
In studying God's word I wish to enlist the help of others. Hence using several books on Systematic heology, and (I hope) discussing my undestanding with trusted others. This will also serve as a check against error in my understanding. I find that writing things down helps me to clarify my thoughts and gives me a record that can be reviewed by others. I'm all for transparency and being a techie and wishing to share my thoughts with others, doing so online seems to be the obvious way to do this.
No comments:
Post a Comment