Sunday, January 8, 2012

Introduction to Systematic Theology (ch1)

First I need to define what ST is to provide me with a clear basis and scope for my study.  Gruden defines it as "Any study that answers the question 'What does the whole bible teach us today?'' about any given topic".

It is focused on the collection and summary of the teaching of all the biblical passages on a particular subject.  It attempts to summarise the teaching of scripture in a brief, understandable and very carefully formulated statement.  It should teach something today, therefore application to life is necessary; it is not an academic study for its own sake - one of my dangers to avoid.

In calling it systematic it is organising biblical topics in a way to ensure that all the important topics receive thorough consideration, and allows for cross-checks to ensure consistency and the absence of contradiction.  Consideration is given to complimentary doctrines (topics) to ensure this balanced consideration is achieved.  For example, Christ's deity and humanity will be studied together, to avoid drawing wrong conclusions from an imbalanced study.  These topics are often referred to as doctrines.  A doctrine is what the whole bible teaches us today about some particular topic.

Assumptions
Nobody approaches scripture without any prior views, bias or assumptions.  How one approaches, treats, handles and acts on scripture is driven by underlying assumptions.  Mine are (1) The bible is true, internally consistent -i.e. not contradictory -and the only absolute standard of truth.  (2) God exists and is who the bible says he is.

Why study theology
I've already alluded to my personal desire to know God more and what the bible says on many topics.  This does not mean I will read and accept these books carte blanch.  Rather, I will prayerfully consider the points raised to determine if I find them to be true.

The great commission commanded us to "Go... and make disciples..., teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you."  The command is to evangelise, disciple and teach.  I therefore must seek out teaching on what the whole bible says today.

Benefits
Studying God's word brings many benefits (Ps 1v 3, 6)

  • Overcome wrong ideas
    I expect that I have many wrong ideas.  By exposing myself to what the whole bible says on a topic I hope, with God's help, to correct as many wrong ideas as I can.
  • Able to make better decisions in the future
    Future topics outside of the scope of this reading will require an understanding.  This study should help answer those questions in the future by giving me a good grounding on God and his dealing with humans in the past and present.  I think of the whole "Toronto Blessing" and confusion around it.  Will I finally be able to make a decision about where I stand with regard to that movement?
  • Life application
    Studying God's word should have a bearing on my life and help change me for the better!
  • Grow as a Christian
    Learning more about God should increase me trust in Him and enable me to praise and obey Him more.
Questions posed at the end of the chapter

In what ways has this chapter changed my understanding of what Systematic Theology is? What was my attitude to study of ST before reading it? What is it now?
For a long time my understanding of ST was that it was in all likelihood beneficial, and a great way to grow spiritually, but looked too much like hard work, frankly, and not particularly exciting or interesting; It sounded to me like a long, dry slog.

Of late, before reading any books, it has become apparent to me that my faith has been stagnating for a long time and the solution is to get to know God more, specifically through spending time studying his word, the Bible. Doing so in a structured manner, with help from those gifted in teaching, seems like a great aid in this process. The thought excites me – not to say the task has got any easier (far from it) – its just that now the prospect of knowing God better and spending time with Him, experiencing Him at work in and through me overcomes, and hugely outweighs any qualms about the effort required. Will I be able to sustain the study? I don't know, but initial enthusiasm is high! Will I find the time to partake in regular study? I will have to, but I'm not sure where from.


What is likely to happen to a church or denomination that gives up learning ST for a generation or longer? Has it been true of your church?
A church that gives up on learning ST for a generation is, I fear, likely to unwittingly allow false doctrine and ideas to creep in, and to lapse into the habit of doing religion for tradition's sake, but without the love, grace and hearing the call of God very clearly. No doubt there will be some who are faithful to God but they may well be lost in the noise of the majority. When I think of churches I have attended I see many examples where tradition has become more important than God. Those churches are slowly emptying.

Are there any doctrines listed in contents for which a fuller understanding would help solve personal difficulty in life at the present time?

I don't know about “personal difficulty” but there are several doctrines that will strongly influence my life, especially around the role of parenthood and being a husband. I am very unclear and undecided about the role of women in the church and hope to firstly, gain an understanding of the arguments against women in the ordained ministry, and secondly make up my mind on the matter. I also see the issue of homosexuality – and specifically within in the ordained ministry – as being something that will become an increasingly important topic due to the pressures and influence of contemporary society upon the church.

What are the spiritual and emotional dangers I need to be aware of in studying ST?
There are two dangers I am acutely aware of: Pride, and treating study as a purely intellectual pursuit. I enjoy learning for learning's sake, and it would be easy for me to build up more “head knowledge” without challenging myself to change and apply God given lessons to my life. The study of God should be seen by others in my life as it effects change in my life. This must happen! The other danger I am aware of is pride as I build up more “head knowledge”; I can be prone to thinking I'm superior or know more about something. Work has taught me that there's always someone in the room who knows more about a topic than you do, and for now I feel that's especially true if the topic is God or theology. I need to guard against this pride.

I need to plan for some steps to guard against these dangers:
  • I need to ask myself after studying a topic how can this be applied to my life. What's going to change? I also need someone who can hold me accountable to that – someone who knows me well and sees me regularly enough to witness any change (or lack of it).
  • I need to adopt an attitude of humility when studying; I need to commence each time of study with a time of prayer asking God to help me and reminding me that I will only learn what He reveals to me, and not through any great personal ability. Whatever I do learn will be a gift granted from heaven by God and I should be grateful, but remember my station – a saint but also a sinner, just like everybody else.


    So.... What's going to change after reading this chapter?
    1. I'm going to find an appropriate verse or two that speaks to my humanity and total reliance upon God to reveal any truths to me - and I'm going to use that as the bookmark in my ST books.  This will remind me to start every study with prayer and a humble attitude.
    2. Each Monday I will plan out when I will do more study in that week.

No comments:

Post a Comment